Spring break travels are upon us and summer road trips will be here in just a few weeks (hang in there!). Staying on track while traveling is a challenge for many, and while it is OK to indulge on vacation; remember that fitness goals don’t recognize vacations.
“Well, I’m only in Cancun once and it’s spring break! A few margaritas won’t hurt.” “These donuts are supposed to be the BEST in the state…lets just sneak in a few and I’ll totally go run it off when I get back.” “Fast food is the ONLY option at rest stops on these road trips. Alright, a large fries and a double cheeseburger will do.”
Sound familiar? While on the go in between classes, home and school, and various trips; I’ve compiled my favorite snacks and “fast” food eats.
Here are a few of my healthy meal and snack recommendations for road trips, train rides, and airport adventures:
Road Trip Pit Stops
Pre-Trip Grocery Stop:
Snacks: Fruits (fresh or dried)–bananas, dried mangoes, and apples are ideal for travel, energy and protein bars, wheat or multigrain crackers, turkey or ham slices, almonds (I like to make my own trail mix with golden raisins and chocolate chips), carrots and celery, beef or turkey jerky, low-salted pretzels or popcorn.
Drinks: WATER! Bring your own refillable bottle to save the planet and your wallet. Refill once you get past security in the airport. Green iced teas for an energy kick, but watch out for ones with tons of sugar. Sports drinks to replace electrolytes and sugar if you need a boost.
Whether you’re in America or elsewhere; these food chains may pop up on your trip:
My healthy go-to’s are:
- Spinach Egg White and Feta Wrap:
Make your own with this PopSugar recipe!
2) Everything or Multi-grain bagels (with or without cream cheese)
3) Turkey Bacon and Egg White Breakfast Sandwich
In N Out (if traveling in California!):
- Protein Style Burger–save the carbs for tacos or pizza in a YOLO meal later.
- Fries (not animal style). Okay, this isn’t really the greatest for you BUT they do use fresh potatoes and I honestly can’t resist french fries.
- Egg White Delight McMuffin (skip the hash brown meal deal)
- Fruit n’ Yogurt Parfait
- Sausage Breakfast Burrito
- Honey Mustard Grilled Snack Wrap (avoid the ranch or crispy fried chicken)
- Peeled apples and side salads
- Fresca Soft or Crunchy Tacos-perfect for getting in protein, carbs, and veggies.
- Cantina bowls-like a salad with protein. Opt for chicken if you’re watching calorie intake.
- Green smoothies or juice. Face it; it’s going to be rough getting in your greens on vacation. Choose a quick spinach or kale smoothie at Jamba Juice or any other chain smoothie restaurant for an easy way to get in the fiber and vitamins you need.
- Energy bowls with fruit, greek yogurt, and granola.
- Oatmeal with fruit or breakfast wraps.
Let me know what your to-go healthy pit stop foods are, and where you’re going or went for spring break! Also let me know if you’re into healthy food blogs because I can always put together more!
xo Kayla J